Conte says can t wait to work with Biden, Harris
Di Maio says govt looks forward to working with president-elect
07 Gennaio 2021
ROME, JAN 7 - Premier Giuseppe Conte said Thursday
the Italian government was looking forward to working with
United States President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect
Kamala Harris after their election win was certified by
Congress.
Conte tweeted, in English: The US Congress has certified Joe
Biden s electoral victory. We are looking forward to working
together with President @JoeBiden and Vice President @KamalaHarris
to promote a global agenda aimed at growth, sustainability and
inclusion.
Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio also said the government was
United States President-elect Joe Biden has reiterated his condemnation of the invasion of the US Capitol on Wednesday.
President Donald Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol Building as Vice President Mike Pence was about to perform his role in the electoral vote count.
The edifice is the meeting place of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
On Thursday, Biden stated that it would have been a different case if the attackers were Black people.
“No one can tell me that if that had been a group of Black Lives Matter protesting yesterday, they wouldn’t have been treated very, very differently than the mob of thugs that stormed the Capitol”, he said.
Punch Newspapers
Sections
Nigerian Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, has said strong institutions are vital to sustaining democracy.
He was reacting to the certification of the electoral victory of United States President-elect Joe Biden by the US Congress despite resistance by rioters and supporters of incumbent President Donald Trump who invaded Capitol in Washington on Wednesday during a joint session of Congress held to certify Biden’s win.
Congress leaders, however, reconvened after the riot and affirmed Biden’s Electoral College victory over Trump.
Vice-President Mike Pence presided over the sitting and announced the certification despite pressure from Trump asking him to do otherwise.
United States President-elect Joe Biden had harsh words on Thursday for the pro-Trump mob that stormed the US Capitol, as well as for President Donald Trump himself, blaming him squarely for the violence.
“What we witnessed yesterday was not dissent, it was not disorder, it was not protest. It was chaos,” Biden said on Thursday in Wilmington, Delaware. “They weren’t protestors. Don’t dare call them protestors. They were a riotous mob, insurrectionists, domestic terrorists.”
“I wish we could say we couldn’t see it coming. But that isn’t true. We could see it coming.”
“The past four years, we’ve had a president who’s made his contempt for democracy, our constitution, the rule of law, clear in everything he has done,” Biden continued.