Ans: Open all days from 9:30 to 8:30 and exceptions on Sundays
Qus: 3).What does the local business do?
Ans: Berowra House is offering a recently renovated fully self contained one flat. This delightful flat has it own enclosed courtyard with an outdoor dining table and chairs. There is also a designated concreted car parking space or parking directly outside the gate on gravel.
The History of Berowra House
The original house was situated on part of the first land grant to be issued in Berowra. Mary Wall got a grant of 60 acres of land on Peats Ferry Road (later called the Pacific Highway) where she had an orchard and grew peaches and passion fruit. In 1909 she sold it to Arthur Rickard, a real estate agent who subdivided it into 3, 4 and 5 acre, and ¼ acre blocks. He built Goodwyn, Rickard, Waratah and Crowley Roads.
In 1910, Mr Helmrick, the teacher at the local school (now the district hall) built a four room cottage opposite the school on land that is now number 1 Crowley Road.
When he sold the cottage (between 1910 - 1915) it was extended and made into a guest house and called "Berowra House". Sydney people came to Berowra House for holidays in ‘The Hills’ because Berowra was the highest place in the Metropolitan area, 748ft (228 m). After the 1918 war, during the Depression and flu eidemic, Berowra House became a convalescent home. Once the eidemic was over, it went back to being a guest house where couples tended to stay while their new homes were being built in Berowra. Because land in Berowra was very cheap and the blocks quite large, many families moved here during the depression because they could run poultry, horses and cows as well as grow fruit and vegetables on their own block of land making them more self-sufficient.
Berowra House was run as a guest house by the Dwyer sisters and later it was owned by Marion Forbes and her father who partly divided the house into flatettes with a shared bathroom and kitchen. There were old pan-type toilets within a toilet block in the backyard with Ladies to the Left and Gentlemen to the right.This building with the signage still stands today.
In the 1960 these flatettes were converted to fully self contained flats each with their own entrance, kitchen and bathroom.
It is now 7 individual 1 bedroom flats, fully renovated with a tasteful mix of old and new. Each now has its own laundry, outside courtyard and off street parking.
"Berowra House" has been providing long and short term accommodation for over 100 years.
Is this the longest continuous business in Berowra?