Universal Credit £20 uplift removal will have severe impact warns NI Federation of Housing Associations belfastlive.co.uk - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from belfastlive.co.uk Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
BBC News
Published
image captionWork on 1,318 social housing homes was completed in 2020/21
There will be £162m allocated for new social housing in 2021/22 across Northern Ireland, the communities minister has announced.
It is an increase of £26m from 2020/21.
During that time, 2,403 new social homes were started - almost 30% more than the department s target - and 1,318 social housing homes were completed.
Deirdre Hargey said that the housing system in Northern Ireland is in need of transformative change . I am delighted to see this progress on so many houses, she said. Whilst the statistics are important, each one of those houses represents a home for those who are on our social housing waiting list, many of who will have been waiting for some time.
The Covid-19 pandemic has taught us many things, but a key one is the crucial role which good quality housing plays in all of our lives.
At the start of 2020 we were pleased to see the New Decade New Approach (NDNA) document commit the incoming Northern Ireland Executive to delivering a specific housing outcome in its Programme for Government.
At that time we already had record numbers of people in urgent need of housing. Since then, due to the pandemic and consequent economic fallout, the need for housing is now greater again. Of particular need is housing that is affordable – an important part of the hardship for people during the crisis has been the struggle to pay their rent or mortgage.
Housing organisations urge Stormont Executive to deliver on pledge to prioritise housing
Four housing organisations have called for a meeting with the first and deputy first ministers
Parliament Buildings, Stormont (Image: Kelvin Boyes/Press Eye)
Want the biggest politics stories sent to you every week? Simply sign up here and we ll do the restInvalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.
Subscribe
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.
Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice Four housing organisations have written to the Stormont executive to raise concerns over the absence of a specific housing outcome in the draft programme for government.