Transcripts For WCPO The Now Cincinnati 20160317 : vimarsana

WCPO The Now Cincinnati March 17, 2016

People were in the car thats now at the bottom of the river. The now cincinnatis tj parker joins us live with the latest information. T. J. . Campbell county dispatchers received several frantic calls from drivers some who saw a car get hit and fall off that bridge and into the ohio river. Right now Officials Say the river is to dangerous for search crews to go in to get the car and look for whoever may have gone off with it. Several concerned drivers who were stuck in traffic as the interstate was closed called dispatchers saying they saw a red suv flip over the side of the bridge and into the water. Now police have an idea where the car is but theyre cant confirm what type of car it is or if anyone was inside. Campbell county police say it all happened after a series of crashes tuesday afternoon. 911 calls depict a horrifying scene for drivers who saw what happened. And a red suv fell into the river, i watched it, it went over the bridge into the river, i dont know how many people it had in it1 24 yeah, i see two heads, three heads that last person you heard had a longer conversation with dispatchers as he watched people float down the river. Tonight at five im going to walk you through more of what he was seeing. That call is also posted at wcpo dot com if you wanted to listen to the full call. Live in anderson township, t. J. Parker, 9 on your side also today the death of a four year old Warren County boy has been ruled a homicide. Investigators say the step mother of four year old Austin Cooper put the little boy in scalding hot water tuesday night as punishment. Austin was the morning. Morning. That was the stepmother, anna ritchie who is already faces child endangering charges in the case. That was before the death was ruled a homicide. Ritchie is due in Court Tomorrow and could face being held on 350thousand dollars bond. A potential threat at Bridgetown Middle School ended with an arrest on campus. And police say it was all thanks to the stepmom of the suspect. 9 on your sides Kristen Swilley was in Green Township today and spoke to parents. Vo parents at Bridgetown Middle School showed up at morning drop off concerned after an arrest on campus last night. Sot john miles clip id slvy0001 01in 06 26 25out 06 34 53its scary knowing that. You know that Something Like this is at the school you cant even. Kids cant come to School Without worrying about stuff like that. Vo the step mother of a 17yearold former bridgetown middle student told School Officials about a facebook posting showing the teen with a hunting rifle. She thought the picture may have been on school grounds. Police never found that picture, but followed up on the tip and tracked him down. He refused to answer questions and tried to run away twice before being arrested. No gun was ever found. He now face two charges in this case obstructing official business and resisting arrest. But he also is faces other charges from previous incidents. Sot john milesclip id slvy0001 01in after the shooting at madison . Oh yeah, absolutely. You know its just. It seems like this is happening a lot. Too much. Ya know . Its happening all the time. Sot Cheryl Hadleyclip id slvy0001 01 in 07 29 47out 07 35 57i was saddened and a little bit worried about sending the kids to school today. Vo Cheryl Hadley says the school communicated with parents and that while there are dangers everywhere. She feels school is still one of the safest places her children can be. Sot Cheryl Hadleyclip id slvy0001 01in 07 55 32out 08 02 41i told them about it last night and i told them this morning. Everythings fine, so theyre not worried. Clip id slvy0086 01 in 23 06 08 01out 23 06 21 32 parents we spoke to this morning tell us they received an automated phone message letting them know there was a threat on campus and that someone had been arrested. Reporting in Green Township. Im Kristen Swilley. For the now cincinnati. Bridgetown middle school released a statement on its Facebook Page saying some evening activities were cancelled and that the building was evacuated for safety precautions. Skies. And near perfect weather to celebrate st. Patricks day. Will it last through the evening . Cheif meteorologist Steve Raleigh joins with your first look at four. Hi steve. Winds will pick up from the west at 10 to 20 mph and will gust up to 35 mph. This is mainly from 16 p. M. Which means it wont last long. But you might notice it as you pick up the kids at the bus stop or on the evening drive home. Cooler air keeps taking over in the ohio valley and this sets the stage for cool friday. Highs only hit the low 50s tomorrow. Well see a slight rain chance, but nothing to be worried about. This weekend, highs drop to the mid 40s with a slight chance for rain. In fact, overnight saturday into sunday, theres even a small possibility of a few snowflakes floating around. Of course, sunday is our first Adam Pacman Jones isnt going anywhere today hes talking about the three Year Contract he signed to stay with the bengals. Bengals. Jones is the teams top cornerback and in the offseason when anything can happen todays news brings some welcome stability to the team. Jones says staying in cincinnati was an easy stressful. 1. 56. 40 the calls started coming in and the offers started coming na dnad in the back of my head i didn twan tto leave here so that was that part 1. 56. 50 1. 56. 501. 56. 56 it would have had to be a lot for me to leave. I have well content. My family loves it here. I love it here. The city has been good to me. I have built a great relationship with the community 1. 57. 13 1. 57. 13the three year deal comes with a 20 Million Dollar payday for jones. Today is the day when march madness takes over the country. And the tristate is well ncaa tournament. John popovich, chris riva and Keenan Singleton are following our local teams to keep you up to date. We begin with john whos live in st. Louis covering xavier. Hey, popo they started this journey some 5 months ago with practice. And this is where the xavier musketeers wanted to end up. And what did they do today in st louis. More practice march madness has busted out at four different sites around the country. But not yet in st louisthis is still the eve of the madness. Dribbling toward a bi friday at the scot trade centerits a public practice today. The dayton flayers were among the first teams on the court early this afternoon, and this is the time to have some fun. To show off and frankly. Its a good time to be here if youre a fan. Because its free. And there are few things free at tis tournamementmichigan state. A two seed was also on the court. Doesnt seem like you can have this tournament seven different states are here. Practice and then a lot of talk. Its a good way to promote an even tthat frankly doesnt need any promoting anymore. Xavier is coming onto the court in about two hours. Well give you a look tonight at seven. Thats the story on the musketeers. Now to the bearcats. Lets go to nine on your sides keenan from starting your car to opening a hotel door. Phone are letting us become the what risk . Its the big reveal thats going viral. A deaf woman hears the people she loves for the very first time. 02 ready . Crying you hear yourself but thats not the only surprise in store for her what her boyfriend did next. When come into Steak N Shake for handdipped milkshakes. Handdipped milkshakes r r at halfprice during r halfprice happier hour, p weekdays, now two to five at Steak N Shake. The four dollar menu at Steak N Shake. Featuring handcrafted steakburgers, allbeef footlongs and fresh guacamole made from scratch. The four dollar menu, where all meals are under four dollars, former subway pitchman jared fogle, is suing him in federal court. It comes as we learn new details about his beating in prison in january. January. Fogle is serving 15 years for child sex crimes. This is video when he was sentenced last november. It now appears the extent of fogles injuries from the beating were exaggerated. And that he may have only been punched once in the face. The inmates family says he did it, claiming fogle was exploiting his wealth and paying for protection. Meantime, the victim in the federal lawsuit is known only as jane doe. Shes suing fogle and another man for Emotional Distress and invasion of privacy. Because she says they secretly recorded video of her taking showers and baths. You could call this the keyless generation. Smartphones are now taking the place of traditional keys in our everyday lives. The nows Anne Mcnamara asks whats the risk to our personal security . Natspushes keysout with the old. In with the new. Nats replaces with cell phone our generation is witnessing a technology takeover. 1 25 extension of yourself and an extension of your phone. Take fords latest models for example. Controlled completely by your smartphone. Nats2 20 your top one allows you to go in and lock, unlock or start your car. No keys and no fobs necessary. Just imagine the possibilities wade jackson | ford fusion Marketing Manager 56 you can actually set it like an alarm so that everyone morning if you leave at 6 30, your car is nice and warm waiting for you. Its fantastic Technology Almost like setting your alarm for you iphone in the morning. Natshotel front deskand its not just cars. Hotels are doing it, too. Now you can bypass the front desk. And Anne Mcnamaraso the phone shows you the room number. Then you hold it up to the door. Wait for the green light. And voila nats 19 24 its hard to argue with the convenience. Security expert dr. Steven beaty says stop and think about the risk. Dr. Steven beaty | metropolitan State University denver21 04 we really wanted the convenience but now we have to worry about another whole aspect of just how exposed does this particular convenience make us . And just because you cant physically they cant be lost or worse stolen. 22 18 its no longer were losing a key or a set of keys. Were losing all of them. And we might not even be aware that weve lost them. A security hurdle. For whats sure to be an exciting and keyless ride into the future. 5 38 you could easily see a world with no keys. Our children are going to laugh at us. They already are. Im laughing at us. They probably already are. For the now. Im Anne Mcnamara. Several carmakers plan to debut keyless vehicles in their 2017 model years. As for hotels. It could take five to 10 years before all of them transition to keyless technology. New cars are getting safer with a feature you soon wont have to pay more to get. Today nearly two dozen carmakers agreed to put automatic braking in nearly all of their cars as a standard feature. 9 on your side consumer reporter John Matarese looks at the lifesaving potential. Pledge are all the major ones including ford, gm, honda, subaru and toyota. Toyota. They say theyll be adding automatic braking within six years. The system uses cameras, radar and other sensors to see anything in your way on the road. It will then slow your car down or stop for you if you dont do it yourself. This technology could do a lot for our safety on the road. A recent study from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shows automatic braking can cut rearend crashes by about 40 percent. That adds up to 700thousand fewer crashes every year if the technology is in all cars in the us. Adding the feature is a voluntary agreement. Not a rule from the government. Safety advocates say voluntary agreements arent enforceable. And theyve now filed a petition asking the government to issue mandatory rules. Traffic Safety Administration says it could have taken up to three years longer to get the technology in cars if it went through the long process of issuing mandatory rules. Turning to weather get ready to bring back the jackets. Winds will pick up from the west at 10 to 20 mph and will gust up to 35 mph. This is mainly from 16 p. M. Which means it wont last long. But you might notice it as you pick up the kids at the bus stop or on the evening drive home. Cooler air keeps taking over in the ohio valley and this sets the stage for cool friday. Highs only hit the low 50s tomorrow. Well see a slight rain chance, but nothing to be worried about. This weekend, highs drop to the mid 40s with a slight overnight saturday into sunday, theres even a small possibility of a few snowflakes floating around. Of course, sunday is our first its a video gone viral. A deaf woman is finally able to hear after getting cohlear implants in mississippi. Take a look 02 ready . Crying you hear yourself huh . shakes head yes 17 17but thats not where this story ends. As if that wasnt enough to make her day watch what happens next. 1 42 well baby, i wanted to make one of the first things you hear, because i love you so much and youre my best friend baby, i wanted to make the first thing you hear was yes. 1 59 1 59thats her boyfriend now fiance asking her to marry him. And you heard her say yes. This video is now being shared by people all over social media. Easter is a big season for candy makers. Thanks to things like easter egg hunts and baskets. And we know most of the sweets are for the kids. But that soon could change. Carol williams explains why. And breaks down the numbers. This year, americans are expected to spend two pointfour billion dollars on easter candy. Candy. But theres a major change for where children will see those sweets. Six Candy Companies have now agreed not to advertise to kids under 12. Or to advertise their candy in school to kids from prek to sixth grade. These Companies Make everything from jelly bellys to peeps to mike and ike. Chocolate makers including herseys, mars and nestle have already promised young kids. But well have to wait and see if these companies actually follow through with their promises. A study from last year shows kids are seeing more candy ads on tv now than in the past. Thats even after Candy Companies started pledging not to target their ads at young children. The council of Better Business bureaus says the companies have kept their voluntary pledges. But researchers say the findings Show Companies need to tighten their definitions of what advertising directed at kids really is. A tuna fish recalled get ready to check your pantry when we return. And as we go to break, we leave you with a performance by the mcging irish dancers who performed at the cincinnati ppublic library today. More from the celebration later on the now. Check the canned tuna in your home. Theres a big recall right now because it could make you sick. Newsys ryan biek found out what you should look for. Umble bee foods is recalling 31,500 cases of of its canned chunk light tuna over possible contamination issues. The californiabased company said the recall comes from an abundance of caution. There have been no reported illnesses at the time of this publication. However, customers are advised to throw out cans of three types of tuna because of deviations in the usual sterilization process. Theres a chance this led to contamination by pathogens, which could be life threatening if consumed. The company said customers should avoid cans with codes starting with the letter t. The recalled tuna was packaged at a facility not owned or operated by bumble bee. You can now follow newsy on your tv or favorite streaming device. If you have kids or grandkids. You know about keeping their curious hands off of medicine in the house. Toddlers testing pill bottles popped some of them open in less than 10 seconds. Rich okay. You got that one open. 15 26 33 that one open, gabriella . yeah 15 26 34 new numbers out today show just how many kids are ending up in the emergency room after getting hold of medicine. The Organization Safe kids worldwide says accidental overdoses send 160 kids to the emergency room every day. That covered overdoses from vitamins, pain meds, or prescription drugs left within reach. The most common places kids are finding medicine . On the ground, in pill organizers, purses, countertops, and in cabinets. Drunk driving not the only danger this st. Patricks day. Day. Why there is concern about those planning to walk too indiana college. What we can all learn from the Health Welcome back to the now cincinnati. And there are plenty of st home today. Like this one at the cincinnati public librarys main branch. This is the 34th year for the celebration which is sponsored by the friends of the oublic library. It kicked off just before noon with performances by irish 05 14 35 we have people come for it every year. Fun event 05 22 08 05 22 08organizers say the Cincinnati Library gets an especailly large crowd thanks to the citys rich irish geneology and history. That celebration was mellow compared to the one at Fountain Square. A lot of people took the day off work to party nat montage here31 57 57 girl dance 2 seconds 24 35 50 cheers 2 sedconds 21 10 37 photobomb scream 20 17 49 were going to be drinking beer all day day the Party Started at 11am. People out there enjoying irish brew. As well as the traditional corn beef and cabbage. Live music will be playing downtown all day. The drowsy lads played this morning. Two 2many will take the stage at 5 30. And the blue rock boys perform at says hes 100percent irish and he comes to Foun

© 2025 Vimarsana