Transcripts For ALJAZ NEWSHOUR 20240713 : vimarsana.com

ALJAZ NEWSHOUR July 13, 2024

Recognized government seizes control of a key air base from forces loyal to Woodward Khalifa haftar. And a jewish settler is found guilty of a racially motivated acid attack that killed 3 members of the palestinian family. Im joining with sports as Englands Premier League takes its 1st step towards restarting clubs have voted to return to Small Group Training from chewstick. The contrary at the heart of the corona Virus Outbreak thats infected nearly 5000000. 00 people around the world is defending its handling of the pandemic chinas now pledged billions of dollars to fight the virus president xi jinping made the announcement during an annual Health Conference run by the World Health Organization. China will provide 2000000000. 00 over 2 years to help with the global covered 1000. 00 response and to help with economic and social development in developing countries china will also work with the un to set up a global humanitarian response to pro and hub in china. President xi also told the Virtual Meeting he supports an inquiry into the Global Response to covert 19 but only once its been brought under control chinas faced growing criticism from countries including the u. S. That destroyer for its initial response to the outbreak but president g. Insists beijing has been open transparent and responsible we have mike hanna standing by for us with the latest reaction from the white house but 1st lets go to our said bag who is live for us in london i said so there amid these calls for an inquiry the w. H. O. Was keen to make this a show of unity did it succeed. Well thats been the overwhelming message is today its been of unity and solidarity and weve heard those words from many most of the World Leaders today but theres still calls for investigations the still calls for reviews of the handling of the pandemic by the World Health Organization that the director general dr ted ross did address that he said that he would initiate an independent review into the handling of the pandemic at the earliest appropriate opportunity no other countries have said that the World Health Organization needs better funding and it still needs more support and it needs to be more of a Global Response to this pandemic and that the oversight body for the World Health Organization has praised it and said that they should demonstrated leadership but they said that this should be a review but not in the heat of the response which could prove to be destructive but what they have said is that they are concerned about the rising politicizes ation of the response to the pandemic ok so china is ok with an investigation once the pandemic is over whenever that might be but this draft resolution backed by some 120 countries calling for this inquiry into the origins of covert 19 where is that will they vote all meant. Now we understand that theres around 120. 00 countries supporting this resolution and we believe that they will be voting on it now before this resolution even came to that it was very controversial there was a diplomatic spat between china and australia china last month threatened a sprayer with some economic ramifications because they took it personally that australia was calling for an investigation looking into the origins of the virus and that the text of this resolution is that it calls for independent impartial and comprehensive review into the International Response to the pandemic but we also understand that the text will be included that calls for and evaluations of the zoonotic origins of the virus thats how the virus transfers from animals to humans that china isnt exactly supporting it but theyre not. Opposing it either because this resolution hasnt really been bought for this time by australias by the European Union china does want to evaluation investigation but only after like you said the pandemics have been brought under control and that could be years i think that thats a said big there live from london lets cross over now to washington d. C. Where mike hanna is live 7 for us at the white house mike i believe a representative from the u. S. Has spoken at this World Health Assembly what they have to say. Well adidas see secretary of health and Human Services alex as our has been sharply critical of the w. H. O. He says the w. H. O. Failed in its core mission in terms of finding out more about the pandemic right at the very beginning he insists too that the w. H. O. Has failed as an organization he says very importantly too that at least one of the heroes members has concealed details about the virus he does not mention china by name but very clearly given what the trumpet ministration has been saying in recent days and weeks he holds china accountable for withholding information but as i said alex is are very critical of the w. H. O. The us as well also fighting the w. H. O. On another issue and that is the reason for taiwan not being there the secretary of state in the course of the morning as issued a statement condemning the w. H. O. For not allowing taiwan to take part in this World Health Assembly this very significant discussion going on at the moment so tensions continue to erupt between the u. S. And china the w. H. O. Very much caught in the middle meanwhile michael we dont hear much about the the centers for Disease Control anymore what role of they play now. Weve seen this is actually a very seminal issue here because the centers for Disease Control in the past in previous pandemics was deeply embedded within the w. H. O. It was a very Important Organization in terms of globally fighting previous pandemics and in the way the c. D. C. Were setting the bar for the w. H. O. And other nations to follow in terms of dealing with pandemics but the trumpet ministration has full recent months contiki priestley sidelined the c. D. C. Once again in previous epidemics the nation heard repeatedly from the c. D. C. The news conferences withheld on a daily basis at the c. D. C. In atlanta in this pandemic with the trumpet ministration the c. B. C. Has played no visible role at all and to treat it would appear that President Trump in particular getting increasingly angered at the c. D. C. Insisting that in some way it was a cd im sorry mike we have to leave it there we are going straight now to a press conference being held by the attendee general william by f. B. I. Director Christopher Ray holding a press conference discussing the investigation into the shooting by a Saudi Air Force could it at the Pensacola Naval air station in florida in december last year and it is listening that the phones were likely to contain very Important Information indeed from romney attempted to destroy both of the phones even going so far as to disengage from the gun fight long enough to fire a bullet into one of the phones within one day of the shootings the f. B. I. Sought and obtained court orders supported by probable cause authorizing the bureau to search the contents of both phones as part of its investigation. The problem was that the phones were locked and the f. B. I. Did not have the passwords so they needed help to get in and we asked apple for assistance and the president asked apple for assistance unfortunately apple would not help us a lot the phones apple had deliberately designed them so that only the user in this case the terrorist could gain access to their contents today i am pleased to announce that the thanks to the relentless efforts and ingenuity of f. B. I. Technicians the f. B. I. Finally succeeded in unlocking als from ronnies phones the phones contained information previously unknown to us that definitively establishes alstom ronnies significant ties to al qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula not only before the attack but before he even arrived in the United States we now have a clear understanding of associations and activities in the years months and days leading up to his attack indeed the information from the phones has already proved invaluable in protecting the American People a counterterrorism operation targeting a q a p operative. One of these overseas associates was recently conducted in yemen we will not hesitate to act against those who harm americans i would now like to turn to turn the podium over to director ray who will provide further information and an update on the f. B. I. s investigation. Thank you 1st let me say i deeply appreciate the attorney generals leadership and support for the f. B. I. Both in our relentless fight against terrorism and in our drive to obtain the vital evidence we need to protect the American People were here today because of a tragic reminder of just how grave how imminent the terrorism threat still is and al qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula associates murder of 3 people and wounding of 8 others right here in america as the attorney general described through a combination of skill and determination the men and women of the f. B. I. Have succeeded in accessing the terrorist 2 phones both of which he tried to destroy our investigation into decembers terror attack in pensacola continues so there are limits on what i can say today but this is an important moment an important case its important because what accessing the evidence of this killers phone allows us to do to protect the American People in just a short time we finally access that evidence we and our partners have already put it to good use among other steps weve taken just a moment ago you heard the attorney general describe the recent counterterrorism operation targeting abdul maliki one of the overseas a. Q. A. P. Operatives that he is so suited with while here in the United States its also important because it underlines just how serious our fight against terrorism is and how vital it is for the f. B. I. To maintain its unflagging vigilance against the threat. The evidence weve been able to develop from the killers devices shows that the pensacola attack was actually the brutal culmination of years of planning and preparation by a long time aide to a. P. Associate the new evidence shows that out some ronnie had radicalized not after training here in the United States but at least as far back as 2015 and that he had been connecting and associating with a number of dangerous h. U. A. P. Operatives ever since it shows that ill share money described a desire to learn about flying years ago around the same time he talked about attending the Saudi Air Force academy in order to carry out what he called a special operation and he then pressed his plans forward joining the air force and bringing his plot here to America Thanks to a lot of hard work by our people we now know that al chamonix continued to associate with a. Q. A. P. Even while living in texas and in florida and then in the months before the attack while he was here among us he talked with a q a p about his plans and tactics taking advantage of the information he acquired here to assess how many people he could try to kill he was meticulous in his planning he made pocket cam videos as he cased his classroom building he wrote a final will purporting to explain himself and saved it in his phone the exact same will that a q a p released 2 months later when they initially claimed responsibility he wasnt just coordinating with them about planning and tactics he was helping the organization make the most it could out of his murders. And he continued to confer with his h. Q. A. P. Associates right up until the end the very night before he started shooting now were still exploiting the evidence weve now obtained from our sherman is phones and were continuing to run our investigation now with the benefit of a lot more insight into the murderers mind and intentions his relations with a. Q. A. P. And his tactics we have more to learn but we know enough now to see ronnie for what he was a determined a. Q. A. P. Terrorist who spent years preparing to attack us we now have a picture of him we didnt have before we obtained this evidence before we could confirm that his connection to a q a p was real before we could track his long and methodical path to violence a picture we would never have obtained without accessing his devices for this case is a potent reminder for anyone who needed one of the stakes of our work we protect the American People from a staggering range of threats but make no mistake securing the homeland against terrorism remains our top priority the men and women of the f. B. I. Are deployed around the clock all over the country and around the world identifying and disrupting threats and pursuing those who would do us harm at the f. B. I. We remain laser focused on the terrorism threat not just because of how much damage an attack can cause our country but because we also know that even as we speak there are evolving and sophisticated groups around the world intent on striking us. Whether core al qaeda or its offshoots like a q a p or isis or the many others we are working with our partners to find and disrupt them wherever they are whether theyre plotting attacks on americans here at home or abroad our people are attacking every aspect of the terrorism threat International Like were here talking about today and domestic with dedication and expertise with innovation to more than match the evolving threat and with a commitment to getting the job done right on the topic of innovation i want to thank and congratulate the men and women of the f. B. I. Who devoted months of hard work to accessing these devices they successfully tackle the problem that required tenacity creativity and Technical Expertise those qualities are valuable in any organization so i know how fortunate we are and how fortunate American People are that we have so many people with those qualities at the f. B. I. Thats why we work to recruit the kinds of people we do the magnitude of the challenge they faced its hard to overstate we received effectively no help from apple we canvassed every partner out there and every company that might have had a solution to access these phones none did despite what some claimed in the media so we did it ourselves unfortunately the technique that we developed is not a fix for our broader apple problem its a pretty limited application but it has made a huge difference in this investigation while were thanking the f. B. I. s computer scientists engineers and other professionals for their hard work we should also be thinking about the cost of all that work. Public servants already swamp with important things to do to protect the American People toiling through a pandemic and with all the risk and hardship that entails had to spend all that time just to access evidence that we had Court Authorized Search warrants 4 months ago our engineers and computer scientists working to access these phones were also needed on other pressing National Security and criminal investigations but the delay from getting into these devices didnt just divert our personnel from other important work it also seriously hampered this investigation finally getting our hands on the evidence i was sure money tried to keep from us is great but we really needed it months ago back in december when the court issued its warrants in the aftermath of the attack we in our joint Terrorism Task force partners worked urgently to collect and analyze evidence in the weeks immediately following december 6th we conducted over 500 interviews of witnesses base personnel and the shooters friends classmates and associates among lots of other efforts if you have just joined us that is if they are there at that level christopher. Head from attorney general there in the u. S. Baking about the findings of their investigation into the shooting by a saudi if with cadets at the Pensacola Naval air station in florida in december last year of course 3 people were killed in that attack a tour wounded i believe in going out to pat a call haina who is standing by in washington patty alqaeda and the Arabian Peninsula had claimed responsibility for this attack now the f. B. I. Says yes they have uncovered information to confirm that. They havent these and theyre trying to turn this in again bringing up all the attention on apple because all of these guys Technology Companies have seen the Justice Department in the past in cases like this push for access to those phones in the Technology Companies have cut pushback and said no were not going to give a backdoor to government surveillance so the f. B. I. Really wants to put the focus on that issue i think the bigger news coming out of this is the announcement of the attack in yemen against one of his alleged conspirators but the bigger question is theyre talking about this saudi cadet admitted to the military Training Program so he was known to have access to these facilities now the f. B. I. Is saying that he was communicating directly by phone to al qaeda operatives in yemen i think the broader question youre going to see from members of congress is how did the f. B. I. Not pick t

© 2025 Vimarsana